Can soccer shin guards be washed?
First off, soccer is one of the most popular sports in the world, with millions of players worldwide. As with any sport, it is important to take proper care of the equipment, including soccer shin guards.
Shin guards are designed to protect the shins from injury during play, but they can become dirty and smelly over time. This begs the question: can soccer shin guards be washed?
Without further ado, let’s get started.
- Can Soccer Shin Guards Be Washed?
- Types of Soccer Shin Guards
- How to Clean Shin Guards with Ankle Support?
- Can You Wash Shin Guards in Washin Machine?
- Can You Hand Wash Soccer Shin Guards?
- How Often Should You Wash Soccer Shin Guards?
- Can you Wash Shin Guards in the Dishwasher?
- Tips for Keeping Soccer Shin Guards Fresh
- Final Thoughts
Can Soccer Shin Guards Be Washed?
Yes, soccer shin guards can be washed. Both machine and hand washing are options, but it’s essential to follow the proper washing instructions to maintain their protective properties. It’s also important to inspect them regularly and replace them when necessary.
However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind when washing them to ensure they remain in good condition and do not lose their protective properties.
Types of Soccer Shin Guards
Before we dive into the washing process, let’s first discuss the types of soccer shin guards available on the market. There are two main types of soccer shin guards: slip-in and ankle shin guards.
The majority of soccer players prefer to wear slip-in shin guards as they provide a comfortable and lightweight option for protection. These types of shin guards are designed to be worn inside the socks, and they feature a unique sleeve that securely holds them in place on the calf.
Ankle shin guards, on the other hand, have ankle support and are held in place by straps that wrap around the ankle. These are preferred by players who require more protection and support.
To ensure you’re picking the right size for your shin guards, check out our guide on Shin Guard Size here.
Additionally, if you’re unsure how to properly wear your shin guards, we have a guide on How to Wear Shin Guards that can help.
How to Clean Shin Guards with Ankle Support?
- Remove any removable padding or inserts before washing.
- Hand wash the shin guards and ankle support using mild detergent and lukewarm water.
- Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals that could damage the material.
- Air dry the shin guards and ankle support separately, away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
- Ensure that they are completely dry before reinserting any padding or wearing them again.
- Regularly clean and maintain your shin guards with ankle support to extend their lifespan and ensure they continue to provide the necessary protection during play.
Can You Wash Shin Guards in Washin Machine?
Yes, you can wash soccer shin guards in the washing machine, but it’s important to do so correctly. Here are the steps to follow:
- Remove any dirt or debris from the shin guards by wiping them down with a damp cloth.
- Place the shin guards in a mesh laundry bag to protect them from damage during the wash cycle.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the washing machine.
- Set the washing machine to a gentle cycle with cold water.
- Once the wash cycle is complete, remove the shin guards from the laundry bag and allow them to air dry.
Note: Do not use bleach or fabric softeners when washing soccer shin guards as these can damage the protective foam.
Can You Hand Wash Soccer Shin Guards?
Yes, you can hand wash soccer shin guards, which is often the preferred method. Here are the steps to follow:
- Fill a sink or basin with cool water.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent to the water.
- Place the shin guards in the water and gently scrub them with a soft-bristled brush or cloth.
- Rinse the shin guards with cool water until all the soap is removed.
- Squeeze out any excess water and lay the shin guards flat to air dry.
Note: Do not wring or twist the shin guards as this can damage the protective foam.
How Often Should You Wash Soccer Shin Guards?
It’s important to wash soccer shin guards regularly to keep them clean and fresh.
Also, how often you should wash them depends on how often you play and how much you sweat. As a general rule of thumb, you should aim to wash them after every use, especially if they are particularly sweaty or dirty.
If you are unable to wash your shin guards after every use, try to at least wipe them down with a damp cloth to remove any sweat or debris.
Can you Wash Shin Guards in the Dishwasher?
It is not recommended to wash shin guards in the dishwasher. Dishwashers can damage the protective properties of the shin guards, leading to reduced effectiveness and an increased risk of injury.
It’s best to stick to the recommended washing methods above and avoid using the dishwasher.
Tips for Keeping Soccer Shin Guards Fresh
In addition to washing your soccer shin guards regularly, there are some additional tips you can follow to keep them fresh:
- Allow them to air out: After each use, remove the shin guards from your soccer bag and allow them to air out. This will help prevent bacteria and odor buildup.
- Use odor-neutralizing products: You can use odor-neutralizing sprays or inserts to help keep your shin guards smelling fresh.
- Store them properly: When not in use, store your shin guards in a well-ventilated area to prevent bacteria growth and odor buildup.
- Replace them when necessary: Over time, soccer shin guards can lose their protective properties or become damaged. It’s important to inspect them regularly and replace them when necessary to ensure they are providing adequate protection.
==>> Read my full article on how to keep shin guards from smelling here.
So, soccer shin guards can be washed, whether by hand or machine. It’s important to follow the proper washing instructions to ensure they remain in good condition and do not lose their protective properties.
Regularly washing your soccer shin guards and following the tips for keeping them fresh will help extend their lifespan and keep them smelling and looking their best.
Remember to inspect your shin guards regularly and replace them when necessary to ensure they are providing adequate protection.
By taking proper care of your soccer shin guards, you can enjoy the game with confidence, knowing that you are properly protected.